All vehicle regulations can be found on the online Motorsport Australia Manual:

Motorsport Australia Manual Road/Rally section

If you are not sure which class your vehicle falls under or want to ask any questions please reach out using the contact form


MotorSport Australia issues a range of different licenses to cover every aspect of participation in Motor Sport, ranging from single day licenses for people that wish to try out something new, up to full National and International Racing licenses.

A Level 2 licence (2NS – non speed) is applicable to introductory rallies, Touring Assemblies and Touring Road Events with non-speed sub-events.  The licence application form is available here:

Motorsport Australia Speed / Non Speed Licence Application

For driving or co-driving in rallies or rallysprints up to the NSW Rally Championship level, a Clubman Rally Licence is all that is required.  The licence application form is available here:

Motorsport Australia Rally Licences

About RallySafe

This information is from the RallySafe website

RallySafe is an innovative communication system that transmits information via in-car units in competitive motor sports events, such as a rally.

The RallySafe unit is a small electronic module fitted to a vehicle for use by the navigator and driver. It uses the latest communications technology to automatically transmit warnings and vehicle status data from unit to unit and to Race Control as quickly and efficiently as possible.

The main safety function of the system is to automatically generate hazard warnings in the event of an accident. The signal is immediately transmitted to following competitors’ vehicles and race controllers, and sends information about the competing vehicle’s speed, severity of accident and location, enabling emergency assistance to be provided at a much faster rate.

The driver or navigator is able to override the system to upgrade or downgrade these warnings, if required. An example could be if a vehicle unexpectedly stops on course but does not present any danger to itself or following competitors.

Push to pass functionality is also a feature, allowing a competitor to warn forward vehicles of their intention to overtake, greatly eliminating risks taken in dust or hazardous passing locations.

The information provided by RallySafe to Event Control Officials is invaluable, giving them real-time knowledge of all their event vehicles and competitors, stage statuses, split times and stage times. As the use of RallySafe expands through the sport, we will see reductions in the number of event officials required, improvements in the availability of race information, more accuracy in recording stage times and general increases in safety standards for the benefit of both competitors and officials.

RallySafe in NSW Rallying

In order to provide a higher level of safety for our crews, the NSW Rally Panel fully supports the use of the RallySafe system by competitors. All organisers of NSWRC events facilitate the use of this system by, at a minimum, monitoring the tracking application during the event.

It is optional for competitors to partake in this system at this time, but the small investment (usually less than $100.00 per event after an initial one-off cost of $175 for the installation kit) makes the investment a very wise choice.

The use of this technology is expected to increase over time and the ‘mechanics’ of the system will continue to evolve. Details of the system may be accessed on the RallySafe website and the Rally Panel will work with organisers throughout the year to better understand and support the system.

The NSW Rally Rego scheme is up and running.  The RMS has released the Rally Vehicle Registration Technical Manual which addresses many issues, including the roll cage regulations.

RMS Technical Manual

How to register your car:

  1. First familiarise yourself with the requirements for registering cars in the scheme. The handbook is here:
    Registration Requirements Handbook
  2. Download and fill in the application forms. They are here:
    Application Form
    RMS Declaration Form
    RVS Inspection Form
  3. Contact an Approved Certifier (list is below) and book your car in for an inspection.
    Brake tests -IF your car has modified brakes your car will need to have an abridged brake test done. Ask your Certifier who their Brake tester is, and book your car in there first. This involves disconnecting the front brake lines and testing the rear, then reconnecting, bleeding then disconnect the rear to test the front. This process will take a couple of hours.
    If your car has a standard braking system you do NOT need a plate brake tester. The old style brake testing is fine. Most certifiers have these and can do them themselves, but check with your certifier first.When renewing registration, a standard brake test is performed.
  4. If you turn up with modified brakes for a renewal that were not on the car when the car was first registered, you will then be made to go and do the abridged brake test.
  5. When you go to your RVS inspection your car has to be ready to rally, including all the safety gear. This is both a vehicle inspection and a rally Scrutineering.  Make sure you have all your paperwork filled in.
  6. After having your car passed by the Approved certifier, you need to have your paperwork endorsed by the NSW CAMS office. Contact them on NSW@CAMS.COM.AU
  7. Take your completed paperwork to the RMS at Richmond (RMS Richmond Motor Registry Shop 5, rear 173 Windsor Rd, RICHMOND 2753), pay them some money and collect your number plates.

How to renew your registration:

When you have a vehicle registered in the NSW Rally Vehicle Scheme which is due for renewal, you should receive an email from CAMS notifying you of the procedure to take, as follows:

You may have been sent a renewal notice issued by the Roads and Maritime Service (RMS) stating the due date for your registration renewal. Please follow the steps below to complete your registration renewal.

1. Have your vehicle inspected by a CAMS approved certifier.
For a list of certifiers and their location, please click here.

2. Brake Test

If your brakes have not been modified since your last inspection, you are required to complete a standard road test.

If your brakes have been modified since your last inspection, you are required to complete a Static Brake Test. Every CAMS certifier has access to this test and will be able to assist you.

3. Submit your completed documentation for authorisation

i.  NSW RVS Inspection form

ii.  RMS Vehicle Declaration form

Once CAMS has received and processed your paperwork we will return to you the signed and approved RMS Rally Vehicle Declaration Form*. You can submit your paperwork by:


Post:   PO Box 6126, Silverwater BC, NSW, 1811

4. Complete renewal at any RMS Office.
The final step in the renewal process is to submit your CAMS authorised Rally Vehicle Declaration Form along with your RMS issued renewal notice to any RMS location.

If you have any questions regarding the Rally Vehicle Scheme, please contact the CAMS NSW office: (02) 8736 1218

How to become an Approved Certifier: 

The RVS needs more certifiers, particularly outside Sydney. To be an approved certifier, You need to:

  • be a RMS approved pink slip examiner with access to a workshop and hoist.
  • be a CAMS Bronze level Scrutineer (or better)
  • Have a local place that can perform an abridged brake test.

If you meet these criterea, please fill in the form below and get involved. You get paid for the inspections, it is not a free service.

Certifier application form


1.       What are the Conditions of Operation?

To quote directly from paragraph 4 of the MOU …

Conditionally Registered Rally Vehicles operating under the RVS may be operated on roads and road related areas only under the following conditions:

·         During competition and liaison/transport stages of a sanctioned Rally event.

·         During testing of competition stages by Approved Organisation officials for a sanctioned Rally event.

·         During official training sessions for a sanctioned Rally event.

·         During a sanctioned public display and/or promotional activity.

·         For course checking/establishment/survey of rally route during preparation of a Rally event (except if the Rally Vehicle’s electronic stability   control has been disabled or removed).

·         For servicing and maintenance of the Rally Vehicle and associated testing under normal road rules and speed limits.

·         Driving to and from a sanctioned Rally event and accommodation/place of residence.

The onus is at all times on the Applicant/registered operator/driver to provide evidence that the Rally Vehicle is being used in accordance with the Conditions of Operation. Details of Rally Vehicle use must be recorded in a Vehicle Log Book.

2.       What do we need to do to be able to use the car?

As part of your RVS registration process, you will receive an RVS Log Book.  This is quite separate to your normal CAMS Log Book and is only used to record all journeys on public roads.  Before setting off to a rally, or testing, etc, simply record the date(s) of use; where you will travel to (and return, if applicable) and for what purpose.  Refer to the list above.

3.       Who are the Certifiers?

Certifiers are accredited to inspect vehicles for the RVS in Sydney and in some regional areas.  There will be a strict limit on the number of Certifiers as it is the interest of all parties to protect the integrity of the scheme.

There are currently many Certifiers in NSW. Download the list here:

4.       What are the registration costs?

The current annual registration charge is $57.00 (including GST) which includes $36.00 for the QBE Green Slip.  On the initial registration, a new set of RVS number plates will be issued at an additional cost of $42.00.  A total of $99.00 for your first registration.  The cost of the renewal each year will be in line with the current cost of $57.00.

5.       What is the cost of inspection?

The initial inspection will be charged on a per hour basis by the Certifier.  At this stage, it is expected that the initial inspection may take up to 2 hours to complete, but as the process becomes more familiar and refined the Certifiers may be able to reduce the total time taken.  In addition, the initial registration requires a brake plate test.  We expect that this will also be charged on a per hour basis.  For those vehicles with a mechanical handbrake, the test is quite simple.  For vehicles that have no mechanical handbrake, there is an additional failure test that will add to the time required, and therefore the cost.

For renewals, only the Certifiers inspection needs to be completed and it is expected that the time required will be approximately 1 hour and then charged accordingly.

6.    Can I register my car if I live interstate?

Yes. The law in all states of Australia is that your car must be registered in the state in which it is usually garaged. If your vehicle is usually garaged in NSW you can access the scheme, even if you do not hold a NSW driver’s license. You will need a letter from the owner of the garaged address stating that your car is normally garaged there. The RMS will then issue you a NSW Customer Number. You can use that customer number in all transactions with the NSW RMS where you would normally need to state your NSW license number.

7.    What if I can’t get to the Richmond RMS?

On the registration application form there is a section titled ‘Representative’s Authority’. Filling that in allows someone else to go to the RMS and pick your plates up for you.

8.      More information?

Please send all inquiries using the contact form


Before you compete in your rally car, you will need to obtain a Log Book.  The Log Book contains the competition history of the car as well as a record of comments by the scrutineers.

It’s quite easy to obtain a Log Book.

The Motorsport Australia website contains all the information you need.  There are a few FAQ’s there to help with understanding the system and process.

At the bottom of the text, there is an instruction, “FOR A LIST OF ALL LOGBOOK FORMS, CLICK HERE”.  This opens another page.  Then, open, print and complete the NEW LOG BOOK form.  Also open, print and complete the “Type 3 – Full Cage” form.  You will need to refer to Schedule J of the Motorsport Australia Manual for the specifications for your roll cage.

Please take note of the differing minimum requirement levels for roll cages.

  • For all NSW rallies (except introductory rallies where a roll cage is not required), you will need a Type 3 Full Safety Cage.
  • For DRS, DRS4, Hyundai, multi club and closed to club rallies, the cage will need to be comprised of main hoop; front legs; windscreen bow; 2 x backstays, and 2 diagonal; members in either the plane of the main hoop or in the plane of the 2 backstays as per 12.2.1 of Schedule J.  Please refer to Schedule J for all of the specific details of materials.
  • However, to compete in NSWRC events (or higher), your cage will also need to have door bars as per 12.2.1 (b).
  • Furthermore, if you intend to compete at ARC level, you will need to have Roof Reinforcement as per 12.2.1 (c) and Windscreen Pillar Reinforcement as per 12.2.1 (d).

Next, take photos of your car to the specification described on the New Log Book form.  Print them on photographic paper and trim to size (10cm x 7cm).

OK, so now you have completed the New Log Book Form and the Type 3 – Full Cage form and have your printed photos.  Now, call one of the certified Scrutineers and make a time for the car to be inspected.  Remember to take both completed forms with you.  Once the scrutineer has completed the inspection and filled in the New Log Book Application form, send both forms with the photos of your car to Motorsport Australia at the address on the form.

Be aware, ensure your application is received by Motorsport Australia at least 2 weeks before the date of the event you wish to compete in.

Copyright 2019 RallyNSW